The Reed Funeral Home tradition began in 1946 when its founder, Cledus T. Reed (1916-1987), opened the Cledus T. Reed Funeral Home in Canton, Ohio. Mr. Reed was a graduated from the Cincinnati College of Embalming in 1937, and then served his apprenticeship at the Orville Smith Funeral Home in Canton. Mr. Reed later joined the Seesholtz Funeral Home that was located at the 3rd.Street NW and DeWalt Avenue, where he served as an embalmer and funeral director, and was appointed manager from 1939-1946 when the business was closed. Mr. Reed's longtime desire to establish his own business was realized on May 30, 1946, when the original Reed Funeral Home opened its doors at 1821 West Tuscarawas Street. The current location, at 705 Raff Road SW, opened on February 1, 1958. Mr. Reed owned and operated the family business until his death on February 4, 1987. Please visit our locations page to view this facility.
Mr. Reed's son, Dennis G. Reed, graduated from the Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science and joined the family business in 1964. Dennis operated the firm from 1987 until his death on July 4, 2010. Today his wife, Carol, and daughters, Elizabeth and Rebecca ensure that the traditions that the firm was founded are reflected daily through their staff, services and relationships with families served.
In 2004, the Reeds were able to realize a long-time vision to reach out to neighboring communities they were often already serving. There was a gap left in the North Canton community where a comrade, through corporate choices, was forced to vacate. The North Canton community embraced the Reed Family with open arms and the North Canton Chapel became a reality. The purchase of the North Canton Elks Lodge on Pittsburg Ave. along with a bit of elbow grease became a state-of-the-art modern funeral complex. Future plans are evolving to incorporate the existing pavilion for public usage. Please visit our locations page to view this facility.
Due to the fact that the North Canton Chapel was now able to offer extended service options such as the Community Room for bereavement dinners, families began requesting those services of the Canton Chapel. With space limitations, in 2007, the Reeds acquired the old Unizan Bank Building directly across Seventh Street of the Canton Chapel. The building renovations are now complete and the new Reed Funeral Home Family Center is now able to provide bereavement dinner services for the Canton Chapel. In addition, the building will house an on-site attorney who will be available by appointment to discuss any Probate or Estate Planning issues. There will also be a Pre-Planning conference area with a Personalization Terminal for making merchandise selections. The facility will also serve to host various community events or speaking events on topics concerning various subject matters. Please visit our locations page to view this facility.
The tradition of the Reed Family serving the community continues into the new century and millennium. The Reed Family and their staff has had the privilege of serving several generations of families since 1946. As these families have called on the Reed’s, and their staff, many sacred bonds of trust and friendship have been established. These sacred ties are one of the primary reasons that the Reed Funeral Home remains a trusted, dependable friend and is committed to maintaining local family ownership for the Canton community. The Reed Family doors are open to you twenty-four hours a day, every day of the year.